Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 6

Saturday, Day 6

Gas is important in this business. It’s a milestone. They have been checking for the past few days to see if I have passed any. This means my bowels are working. Well yesterday, I did and was rewarded with a pack of Lifesavers. Which means today, I could have fluids. I started off on 250 ml of fluid (a cup-ish) in the morning. Lunch was cranberry juice, an icee, then a few sips of inedible super-salty chicken broth.

Tonight I was so nauseous but I couldn’t take Zofran (or anything) to help because I had taken it earlier in the day to combat the nausea from my antibiotic. I was sweating and sick. When the dry heaves started, I thought I was going to rip open. I braced my back into the upright bed and pushed my kidney pillow into my body, but the pain threw my legs into convulsions. I was kicking wildly, swearing between breathes, crying. Doug helped me hold the empty bucket and brace my body, watching helplessly as I was in pain. He wiped my forehead and neck with a cool washcloth. That was the most painful and frightening part of this whole thing. And the whole time there were people waiting in the hall to see me. It only lasted about fifteen minutes from severe nausea to dry heaves. Then after the most violent one, it just stopped. The color came back to my face and the sweating faded.

Happy to be on fluids...
If you look closely, you can see the bruising on
my side. For some reason, there are a few long,
thin lines that are not bruised.

No comments:

Post a Comment