Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 8

Monday, Day 8


Food, finally, after a week
No nausea today! But no sleep last night. It’s so weird how you can be this exhausted and not sleep.

I started the morning with a whole bowl of jello and some apple juice. As I was headed for the bathroom, I was greeted at the door with another breakfast tray. Food! Hooray! It’s been over a week without food. They had just gotten the order. I had some OJ, part of a bagel, a nibble of spinach breakfast quiche, and kept the cornflakes for a snack.

My nurse Bobbie ran the Levaquin (the antibiotic) slower and I didn’t really have nausea. Levaquin is my nemesis. When the antibiotic was finished pumping, she unhooked all my IVs which makes me independent now because I don’t need it unhooked and pushed around to the bathroom or through the halls.

I have been hungry and handling the food well today, though hospital food is so gross. I couldn’t eat much. When they brought me a dinner of some type of meat that looked like my kidney, I asked for more cornflakes instead. I never knew cornflakes could taste so good.

With my IV out, I was able to take a shower (finally!!) with help from my sister. I felt extremely vulnerable standing there without my kidney pillow. It changes your whole posture. I noticed a change in my breathing too. I think I was a little panicky. I am very dependent on it for security. I managed to avoid looking at the incision through the shower. I’m convinced I will pass out if I see it.

Maybe they will send me home tomorrow. The doctor never came in to talk today. I guess since Monday is surgery day. I’m hopeful though since I did well with the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment