Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 9

Tuesday, Day 9


I’m going home today. Got up bright and early because I couldn’t sleep anymore. Went for a walk and sat down with some other patients.

One older guy Ed came in for a routine one-night splint change and found out that his body was trying to reject his kidney. The splint change is something that is scheduled every four months. His insurance company did not want to pay for it that often, but the doctors insisted he needs it; so I guess they ended up covering it. Anyway, his over-night turned into two weeks. He talked about how his wife has gotten him through this whole process, how she kept him off dialysis for eleven years through a rigorous diet. He will be 76 next month. He got his kidney two years ago. He said it is hard for someone his age to get a kidney.

Mr. Woo, also at my table, needs a kidney. He has a fatal disease. It starts with a “c”. I can’t remember what it’s called. He kept telling me I’m amazing and offered to French braid my hair. He’s a stylist. He has been here for 2 months.

Another woman who is also going home today has been here twelve days. Long stays seem to be the trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment